Saturday, November 19, 2011

School and a visit from good friends...

Its been almost a month since Callie has been to a whole day of school. Even as I write this, I am shocked that Callie has been out of school for that long. I have to say that in spite of the fact that I was nervous to go to the meeting with her teachers/principle, it went really well. They were all really compassionate and wanted to do what is best for Callie. It is so hard to know what to do for her because she is unable to keep up with school right now, but if the medicine works, she will be able to get back to her life soon. We decided that (for now) she would concentrate on English when she feels good enough to do school work. And if need be, she would make up the credits for this semester later.

Most of the time Callie is down with a headache. It seems though, that there is a small portion of the day that she is up and able to do a little work. So hopefully she will at least get to have her English credit. Well, really I hope that her medicine works soon for so many reasons, but one of them being school.

Callie has gotten a bit lonely lately. Today her friends, Beca and Emma came and spent part of the day with her. Callie told me multiple times how happy she was that they were here. At one point she had a glazed look on her face. I asked her how she felt and she said, "my head hurts, but I'm just so happy that they are here." When she said that, she looked like she was going to cry. All and all though, she had a good day. For most of the day she said that her pain was around a 6. She even went out for lunch. She didn't really eat much but at least she got out of the house with her friends for a little while. Its amazing what a little emotional pick me up will do for all over health. For which I am very grateful.

Callie just told me that she has a ringing in her ear. Her head pain is at a 7. I hope it subsides and she is able to get some sleep tonight.

1 comments:

d.jo said...

I'm so sad to hear about Callie's headaches. I tried to click on a more recent post, but maybe it was deleted, because this is the most recent post I could click on. Anyway, hope your family is hanging in there. I used to teach a student who had a very similar condition--I think it sounds like the same one, but I didn't know the name of it. In only 2nd grade he was having daily headaches, too. It's a really hard thing to deal with when you feel like that all the time and miss so much school. Hope she hangs in there and that you find solutions that work, soon!